Tuesday 26 May 2009

Still British Gas, Red Letter Days, Football, Politics and Health




Rant

British Gas

They called again on Saturday - apparentlt I'd called them during the week (I hadn't, they called me). I explained that I received a call to tell me the bill was on it's way when the "Customer Experience Consultant" (or whatever they are called these days) informed me he was trying to sort it all out. A long confusing discussion ensued. Ugh, they'll be putting me on their "friends and family" list soon!

Red Letter Days

Still no news - will call later, again at my expense!

Politics - Good old Politics

We need to draw a line under this expenses stuff. I don't mean those who have yet to be caught should be let off, I mean there needs to be a firm rule as to what the punishments are. These should be applied to those who have been exposed, and those who are to be exposed.

My simple rule is this:

An MP should NOT profit from being an MP (apart from their salary); conversely, an MP should not have to use their salary to pay for expenses incurred as part of being an MP.

Fairly simple really.

So what does this mean practically?

Going forward:
ALL capital gain on a property which has been funded by the taxpayer should be returned to the fees office. NOT just pay the CGT.
NO claiming for accountants.
NO claiming for food (apart from biccies for constituents etc)
A set amount for furnishing a second home, say £5 grand, renewable every 5 years.
Utility bills, council tax etc. all claimable
Mortgage interest claimable up to an upper mortgage limit (not the £1250 per month or whatever the govt is banging on about - what they going to do when the interest rate changes the dorks!) but up to say a £250K mortgage.

Punishments

Where an MP has done anything that is outside the law, then get the police/HMRC involved and they should be suspended immediately. Simple as it would be in any other organisation. If found guilty, criminal charges as per any other member of the public.

Playing the rules? I think most are guilty of that. Need to go think!

No comments:

Post a Comment